Thursday 27 December 2012

I Broke My Mother's Vase and Her Heart



بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

ا سَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه


It was Wednesday night. Reiichi asked his mother if he could go for a movie with his friends on weekend. But his mother said no. Annoyed, he shouted at his mother before throwing his mother's favourite vase on the floor. Then he left the house angrily. He wandered alone and aimlessly around the neighbourhood under light rain. He felt hungry. Then he saw a hot dog stand on the side of the road under the yellow street light. Before he could jog there, realization hit him. He remembered that he didn't bring his wallet along with him.

Soaked in wet, he forced his feet to an old bus stand, located only metres from the hot dog stand. The old man looked at him under his grey brows. When Reiichi's stomach pathetically growled, he swore the old could hear it and probably resisting himself from bursting out laughing while rolling on the ground. 

Instead, the old asked the cute shivering little boy. "What's your name, son?"

Stammering, he answered. "Re..Reiichi.."

"You hungry?" He said as he pulled out a bun and put the hot dog on the griller. The smell was so tempting Reiichi couldn't speak. The old man then put the hot dog on the bun, squeezed the mayo and chili on top before handing it to the boy. "Here."

Automatically Reiichi's hand reached forward, receiving the hot dog. "B..But I have no money with me." 

"It's on me." The old man replied, before placing a stool next to him, urging Reiichi to seat. Then he made the little boy some hot chocolate.

Savouring the hot dog and his drink, his eyes suddenly wet with tears. The old man waited for the boy to finish before he asked. "What's wrong, young boy?"

"It's nothing..." Reiichi answered. "You're just so nice. You don't even know me but you offer me food and drink. But my mother...after we fought she drove me out from house. She's mean." He added, wiping his tears. 

Upon hearing the little boy, the old man slowly sighed. "Son, what makes you think it that way? I only gave you a hot dog and a drink, but you are already touched and feel that you owe me. Your mother raised you since you were small, fed you and took care of you, why don't you be thankful but instead you fought with her?"

The words hit Reiichi like a brick. After thanking the old man he returned home. 

"How could I not think of that...What kind of horrible son I am..." He muttered under his breath, feeling remorseful. He thought of what he would say in front of him mum later. He would kneel in front of her, asking forgiveness.

As he arrived, he saw his mother on the lawn, her clothes slightly wet from the rain, but the worried look on her face changed to relieved. Reiichi dropped to his knees, holding his mother's hand, and cried. "I'm sorry mommy...I'm truly am. Please let me work at Uncle Chakir's so I could replace your vase." He said, sobbing.

She lowered herself on the wet grass, caressing Reiichi's hair softly. "I don't care if I lose the vase, but I don't know what I would do if I lose you, Rei" 




*** In our lives, we are easily appreciate small thing that others do for us. But for our family, we feel that what they have sacrificed for us are normal and should be done without appreciation. >_<"

*** Parents' love and their concern for us are the most valuable gift for us since we were born. How many parents ask their children to pay back the cost of raising them? NONE !
But have we ever feel obligated to repay them with love and appreciation for their sacrifices-without-conditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment